i’m coming up on 3 weeks of training for my show. i feel well adjusted to my diet changes. i searched for some easy meal options. the protein bars ready-made are loaded in sugars and extra carbs. added sugars do not fit into my meal plan. added sugars would kill my fitness goal, too. i decided to experiment in the kitchen today. i threw together some yummy, clean ingredients and came up with this!these no-bake protein bars have no added sugars, no egg, no dairy, and no oil. right now, my diet motto is the simpler, the better. i gathered my ingredients. i luckily had everything in the pantry.
2.5 cups oat flour (I grind my own with my NutriBullet. I prefer Quaker Oat–Traditional Oats)
1/2 cup vanilla protein (I prefer Trutein’s vanilla flavor)
1 TBS truvia
1 TBS cinnamon
1 tsp mix spice
1 tsp nutmeg
8 oz baby applesauce (I had extra packs of Gerber’s baby food Anna never finished. I used 2 4 oz of the plastic package)
1 TBS unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup almond butter (I prefer Barney’s Smooth Almond Butter. It is SO good!)
- combine all dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl. combine well.
- add almond butter to a microwave-safe bowl. heal until melted. pour almond milk into the dry mix and combine well. add in the applesauce and mix until combined–it will be crumbly
- add in 1 TBS of almond milk at a time. it will thicken. you do not want the batter to be runny.
- line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper.
- transfer mixture to the baking dish. smooth out batter and press firmly. chill in fridge for half-hour. make sure to keep leftovers in fridge.
soft, chewy, and delicious! it’s not a pretty picture, but when dieting for a show, your meals aren’t show-off, instagram cuisine material. these are better than store-bought, ready-made protein bars. i’m a control freak right now with my diet. you HAVE to meal prep. you HAVE to plan ahead for everything. i love this as a quick option to meet my macro goals for the day. and there isn’t any baking/cooking with this recipe. it saves me on dishes/clean up, too. a lot of people don’t understand just how much work goes into this training. i tell myself everyday, all this will be worth it.
i added in the recipe to My Fitness Pal. nutrition facts are here for you:
make sure to post in the comments if you make these. i always like to see new ideas, too. xoxo